Saturday, August 20, 2011

Diablo Valley Quilt Event...Post #1


Tom and Suzi
What a wonderful time I had lecturing and teaching in California!  Last Tuesday I reconnected with Suzi Dillinger, a friend from years past.  I met Suzi many years ago when she owned of Patchwork and Pinafore quilt shop in Rochester, MN.  She now lives in Livermore, CA with her husband Saint Tom (sorry, inside joke).  They have a lovely home and are very gracious hosts.  During my stay Suzi and I visited many quilt shops and antique shops besides the teaching and lecturing.    



Before I show you the pictures of the shops, store and assorted $bootie$ I want to express my thanks to the Diablo Valley Quilters for inviting me to come to California.  Wednesday after a good night’s rest I was off to meet the Diablo Valley Quilters.  There were well over 100 quilters in attendance.  They were there to hear my lecture called, “Tell Me About Your Doll Quilt.”  Suzi gave me a lovely introduction and I was honored by all in attendance, even a couple of nationally know teachers came to hear the lecture (Sally Collins and Diana McClun).  Diana and I had a nice chat reminiscing about visit to Minnesota for one of your MQ quilt shows.  Some of the quilters brought props for me to use with all of the quilts…thank you again!!!

Pre-1900 doll quilts
ca. 1930 doll quilts
1900 doll quilts
Next day…Thursday was class day.   I had 20 students in my class room at Thimble Creek Quilt Shop in Concord, CA.  Learning, and of course some fun, was had by all.  Everyone was working on the same quilt…Laura’s 1870s Cradle Quilt but their fabric choice varied from sweet pastels and 30s to historic civil war in style.


Laura's 1870 Cradle Quilts 
Just the beginning of the Cradle Quilt

Lyda and the beginning to a row
Look for installment 2 of my CA trip in a couple of days...

Happy Quilting,
Annemarie in MN
 Chris with her beginning of the Cradle Quilt

1 comment:

Jan said...

Oh, how I would have loved to enjoy that day with you!