Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Love Those Antique Quilts!

I thought I'd post a picture of some of my antique quilts. I love to decorate with quilts. Old or new it really doesn't matter. The 7' ladder in my dining room displays some of my antique quilts. When I had the ladder made I barely had enough quilts to cover the rungs. Now I can cover the ladder for each season. This is my fall display. The quilt on the top is a snowflake kit quilt from the 1940s. It came from Stillwater, MN. The next quilt is a Redwork in yellow quilt that was so brown (dirty) when I bought it I thought it would never come clean, but it did. It is very large and each block has the same lily pad embroidery. The middle quilt I bought from a dealer on Ebay. It was probably made in the late 1930s and each basket is the same. The yellow background is made up entirely of hexagons. The next quilt on the ladder is maybe called rolling rock, but I'm not sure. I found this quilt close to home in Burnsville. It is probably the oldest of the group. The last quilt was just a top when I purchased it in Paducah, KY for $35.00 in 1991. I had it quilted by an Amish women in southern Minnesota. I love this quilt. The fabric dates from 1950 and has Hispanic motifs.


Here's one more decorating picture for you. This pumpkin quilt hangs in my family room in fall. The pattern is from an old Redwagon book. I call it 'Cats in the Pumpkin Patch'.

I have to fess up to the rest of my dining room. As you can see it would be very difficult to have a meal on this table. Maybe a bite of chocolate and a Coke but not a Thanksgiving dinner. I really hate cleaning off the table. Putting everything away is the kiss of death to ever finding things again. I really would rather be sewing! Occasionally, I do have to clean-up my act and the table just to be civilized. But I ask you, what fun is that?

2 comments:

Annemarie Yohnk said...

I'm nostalgic already for a good ol' fashion sew-in with everyone. I miss our sessions in your diningroom. As usual, your quilts are marvelous and I like the new ones I hadn't seen.

Now, break out the margaritas and sew! You can always clean tomorrow!
Glenda

Nancy said...

What fun to see photos of your home and your decorating with quilts.
Nancy